Things I have been loving lately:
1) The artist Nikki de Saint Phalle:
Robert and I hit up the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art in downtown Charlotte to see a Giacommeti exhibit because I like Giacommeti and his strange, thin statues. The exhibit was great. The exhibit was sad. The exhibit was steeped in existential angst. It made me pensive. But outside the Bechtler was the Fire Bird by Nikki de Saint Phalle, and that Fire Bird, I tell you what, it lifts you up (like a really shiny Whitney Houston song). I love art.
This is a picture from more than a year ago with what is maybe my favorite piece of art ever. That colorful, giant skull had a short visit in Charlotte, but I'll remember it forever.
2) The cold. It's amazing. It's almost like fall is officially here. Part of me had trouble believing the heat of summer could ever be conquered. Really. I was doubtful fall would show up. (In my defense, I wore shorts last February.)
3) "The Bed Song" by Amanda Palmer. It wins. At everything.
4) Drinking hot coffee early in the morning driving in the dark to school listening to "Bust a Move" to get pumped for my day.
5) Homemade pretzels. Oh. Yes. (By my amateur baker husband.)