I was watching Indina Menzel, whom I love (Um... she was both Elphaba and Elsa) sing Joni Mitchell's "River" and I was like "This is JUST WRONG." Because it was. Indina wasn't sad enough. She just really needed to be sadder.
Anyway, it got me to thinking about my favorite sad Christmas songs. Here are my Top Five (High Fidelity style) in descending order of super sadness:
5. Elvis Presley's "Blue Christmas" (Obvious choice. Kind of not sad because Elvis's voice makes me happy.)
4. Mariah Carey's (totally sad - she doesn't not have him there! - yet misleadingly upbeat) "All I Want for Christmas is You"
3. Judy Garland's "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (Is everything she sings sad because of her Judy Garland voice? Maybe.)
2. Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" (He's homesick. It's sad to be homesick at Christmas.)
1. Joni Mitchell's "River" (She made her baby say goodbye.)
So much sadness! It's hard not to be a wee bit melancholy at the (literally) darkest time of the year.