Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Bell Jar


This is my/Robert's Valentine's Day present for 2012. A bit early, right? Well, we decided on our first Valentine's Day to start a tradition of buying art together instead of roses or fancy dinners or what have you. The problem is, fabulous art doesn't show up only in February. I discovered this gem about a year ago. It was created by my friend Stacey Pilkington-Smith, and it is so so so lovely. I was immediately like "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" and she was all like "I have to put it in exhibits first."


It's called "The Bell Jar." Those pages are from the book by Sylvia Plath. I read it at age 15 (as one should, or so I thought at age 15). I actually wasn't a big a fan of "The Bell Jar," but damn I love this work of art, which has made its home in our foyer.


We sadly couldn't afford the original, so we bought a limited edition print. She is beautiful and sad and she makes me happy. Robert loves her too. It was a lovely early Valentine's Day gift.


Doesn't she look at home? She's the first thing you see when you step in the door. Can you spot Sunshine in the background? Cute, little tail-wagging doggie. In this photo, Sunshine is all about eating dinner and has absolutely no interest in the new artistic arrival.

3 comments:

sarahannnoel said...

Thanks for the sweet words you left on my blog today--it was great to have you stop by and discover your blog!

I love the idea of an art tradition and I LOVE Sylvia Plath. The Bell Jar is one of my most favorite books--great choice!

Sarah

his_girl_friday said...

You deserved the kind words. It's easy to say you wish you could stay at home with your kids, but it's a lot harder to do it.

kori said...

Oh, now I want this too! It's beautiful. I hope your friend has an etsy shop or web site because I'm going to google her right now. :)