Monday, September 7, 2015

Brunch? Not so much.


Here I am in a recently thrifted, striped dress that I enjoy. Thomas is wearing super cute thrifted overalls and being a full-on toddler in them. We wore these outfits to go have brunch with my friend. Brunch did not go swimmingly.


I mean, it was great to see my friend and eat an omelette, but Thomas was just not having it! He wasn't a nightmare, but he also wasn't the "restaurant baby" he used to be. For real. This kid used to sit in his high chair (and before that his car seat) and look at the world and eat with us and be totally, 100 percent chill. No more.


Thomas walks now. All he wants to do is chase his ball around. Or bother the dog. Or climb on things. He does not want to hang in his high chair while his mom has a fantastic conversation and drinks coffee. That Touch-and-Feel Elmo book that used to entertain him forever? It's not working anymore, mama!


What is working: My thrifted dress, Target sandals, pastel toes and fallen crape myrtle blossoms.


So, yes, Thomas and I wore these outfits to brunch. Perhaps the last brunch I will bring him to in a while. My friend, who has a 20-something-year-old daughter, said "I hate to tell you this, but it just gets worse." I guess we shall see!

6 comments:

Emmylou said...

Gosh! Can't believe Thomas is walking now!

PS Love the dress:)

Melanie said...

Haha! Oh no! Your friend's comment that it will get worse made me laugh. No, not at your situation but at life. That's how it is. I'm glad you got a chance to see your friend.

Kezzie said...

Oh no, how frustrating! He looks like butter wouldn't melt!
I love your thrifted dress and how nice you match the fallen blossom on the ground!x

Lisa said...

Just look at that cute face where he is holding your fingers, he sure is having fun!
Love the stripes.
Lisa x

Midnight Cowgirl said...

Aw, bummer about brunch, but your dress is really cute!

Radostin said...

In the spirit of fellow-mama friendship, and given that you share advice from one friend in this post already, may I offer an alternate position to that of your friend? I like going out to cafes with my kids, whether one or more of them, and they are usually pretty well behaved. Not because they are perfect or live in terror, but my theory is, because they have practice. From your wording, it sounds like it may have been a while since you went out to eat with Thomas? Maybe he's forgotten what it's like? I suggest trying again relatively soon, if you can. Order something that's a bit of a treat, that he can share. (My littlest learned the word "croissant" before many other, far more everyday words) Sure, don't expect to sit for hours of completely uninterrupted conversation, but get him excited about it. And then do it again, before he's forgotten. I haven't gone through the teenage years, but currently on my 4th toddler, I'd say it's worth a try. I think even really small kids are often good at rising to the occasion, if they know it is one - and going out for a meal or a snack can become a lovely treat to share with your kid as he grows. (Not to mention, how nice not to have to get the meal yourself, every once in a while). Good luck!