Friday, August 22, 2014

Mommy Wars


When I was pregnant, I had the Mommy Wars going on inside my own head. I was utterly convinced I should stay at home with my child, and I was utterly convinced I needed to keep working if only for sanity's sake. I went back and forth about what to do and felt pretty terrible about all potential choices.


I really love my job. I also really love my son. So I ended up going for a bit of a compromise. I'm taking three months off from the school year and then returning to work. Yesterday was open house, and I went to see my students and let them know I wasn't going to be there at the start, but I'm coming back! We were supposed to wear school colors -- red, black and white -- so I wore this.


These are new Dansko heels I bought on eBay. So cute. A little Wicked Witch of the West in the best possible way.


While at school, I really wanted to be back at work. I love the start of the school year. I love my students. I love teaching. But now that I'm back at home, I'm glad I get to spend more time with my son. He will only be this little once. He's already huge compared to what he was three weeks ago! I love his little dolphin noises and his snuggles and the weight of him in my arms. I am glad I get three more months to enjoy him all day every day.

9 comments:

Emmylou said...

That's a good compromise:)

PS Love those shoes!

Isabella said...

I'm glad to hear you've found a plan that you're happy with! It's so great that you're living in the moment with your sweet little Thomas, but also staying true to yourself and your passions. I like the new shoes, I agree that they're witchy in the best way (I LOVE the Wicked Witch of the West.)

~Isabella
adventuresinhel.blogspot.fi 

Margaret Dallospedale said...

You look adorable babe
Love your top
Kisses+
Maggie D.
The Indian Savage diary

Jane said...

that sounds like a lovely compromise! and i love dansko shoes!

Midnight Cowgirl said...

Sounds like a good compromise! And, those shoes are cute :)

Imogen said...

Red and white stripes are the best and I love the shoes.

Lisa said...

Great decision.
Great stripes.
Great shoes.
Great mum.
Lisa x

Hollie Black-Ramsey said...

I need those shoes in my life

Sonya Mann said...

Those shoes *heart eyes*

Regarding working versus staying home, you definitely gotta choose what's right for you and your family.

And since you're a teacher, you might be interested in this:
https://www.maa.org/external_archive/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf